Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Cables and Lace (and lace with cables!)

Fall semester is coming, soon. So I am trying to clear the decks (when am I not clearing the decks, all you need is a goal).

August 20th marks the beginning of classes, which actually means I will have more time to knit. There is no time like class time to knit. I find that I pay much better attention to what is going on when I knit. I got much better grades in school once I started knitting during class. I need to stay in constant motion, and taking notes in class is not consistent enough to keep me focused on the front of the room. Knitting is easy to put down, quiet, self contained, and the perfect non-distracting distraction.

Of course it does take a little diplomacy to knit in class. I make tons of eye contact the first week, and I generally always try to answer questions. The goal is to solidly demonstrate that I am paying very close attention to what is going on, and that I mean zero disrespect by knitting in class. There was a phase in high school where I meant to convey great disrespect by knitting in class, but I got a C+ that semester, and frankly it was a waste of everyone's time. My MS advisor had to stand up for me a couple of times for knitting in class, and honestly it would have been better if he hadn't needed to.

I suspect that the lace shawl will not be the best project to take to class however. I made the mistake of signing up for an 8:30 class, so I am going to have to haul ass in the morning to get there on time. This will result in me drinking less coffee, and I suspect being awake will result in better shawl knitting performance.

And, it seems like Bohus fever will be striking me soon. Who knows what crazy things I will do once the remainder of the yarn arrives. Fevered swatching, cold sweats when I am away from it, the uncontrolled desire to knit it at any and all hours. It will be messy. Much better to minimize the WIP pile beforehand.

The WIP pile is actually only 2 projects: Blood Queen, and RT's Silver Socks. I want to cast on Butterflies are Free, however, I need to probably finish both of them, or at least one of them. Hence, Lace and Cables. Oddly I am to the part in the chart where I need to cable my lace, Elizabeth Freeman, only you want to cable the lace.

 Oddly I was able to get a shot of blood queen in this late stage, not as a vague bundle of lace.

She is very fetching.


Two rows away from the end of the first edging chart.



The cables have been a lot of fun. I have been knitting on the sock as I read a math textbook, and I have made quite a bit of progress. I got RT's measurement, and they are basically identical to the DSLO's


I was pretty happy how this fractal turned out. The details are nice, the gradient is from my last challenge fractal, and I am a sucker for spirals. They are so quick to make, and I doubt I will ever run out of ideas to try with them. I really love the 3 fold spiral, I could just have a gallery of these and I would be a happy camper.

The next challenge is minimalistic. Spherical+Linear, 2 transforms, nothing else.

That's all for now, take care guys

Molly : )

No comments:

Post a Comment