Monday, August 13, 2012

Ravellenics: The Stunning Conclusion

I did manage to finish 2 pairs of socks in 17 days. Actually it only took 16, because I spent most of Saturday napping, and I was still done before Sunday.


It just pooled a little bit in the gusset. I really like how this pair of socks turned out. The pattern was interesting, and the colors extremely happy.

I was a little worried about finishing, but we had some friends over and we watched a couple of movies Saturday night, which pushed me over from one leg, to a full sock. I think this is proof that I knit faster when slightly distracted.

 I finished most of the leg on Friday. I cast on sometime around 8-9 am, and around 2:30 am I was that far. So day 15 and 16 turned out to be the stunning conclusion.

Normally when I finish a big project (like several socks in a short period) I am day dreaming about the next project.

This time, I am emerging from a big effort with a ton of obligations and WIPs.

My remaining Bohus yarn shipped Saturday, probably. I am knitting a pair of socks for the woman who is sending it, because a.) she won't accept payment, and b.) she has had a dreadful time knitting socks. I have not touched it for the past few weeks because I need to swatch.

I agreed to knit a pair of socks for my friend. I started those last night, because then he won't be able to give me crap about not starting.

Hopefully it works. I got gauge on a size 1, and it looks pretty big. I have not made many toe up socks, so there will be some learning involved. When he gets back I need him to stand on a ruler, and maybe try on a few of DSLO's socks to I get a feeling for instep and general size. The pattern is Boyfriend Socks, the yarn is Spud and Chloe Fine, and I ♥ my hiya-hiyas.

 I spent most of last night's knitting time cranking on the border of Laminaria. I have learned a new lace knitting skill, the double yarnover.

The rows are very very very long now. It takes a significant amount of time to complete each one. I didn't bother to count the stitches. It took a little time to get back into the swing of this project. The 8-ply silk is pretty splitty, so I have to be careful while knitting. And my hands are pretty rough right now, so it any silk contact results in catching on my calluses.

So there is no need to daydream, I am way too busy as it is.

So the 70+ hour render finished. It is not that much different than the five hour one. I wasn't happy with how the rings one turned out. Or at the very least in comparison with the purity of this one. It is a very classical fractal. I am not sure if I will play with this more, because there is only so much that you can do to something like this. The structure is very constrained.

That's all for now, not sure if I can keep up the post every 2-3 days now that I am not knitting so furiously. Take care guys,

Molly : )

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations on finishing your projects! I'm still working on mine - and daydreaming about starting something new. I just picked up a new sweater, but want to pick up a couple of Christmas gifts as well (a chunky cowl and a cozy). Hope your other projects go as fast as the Ravellenic Ones!