Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Ninty Degrees of Evenstar: WIPW


I have reached the 14th repeat of the border chart, which means I have cast off 1/4 of my massive circular shawl.


The good news:

I memorized the chart, I don't need the post-it note blinder anymore, which is making everything go much quicker.

The bad news:

It is still so freaking complicated I can't possibly carry it around. So it is on my dining room table, and I turn on my indie rock pandora station and I go to town half a repeat at a time.

My makeshift beading tool broke, but not where I expected it to. I can no longer load 40 beads on at a time. But the crochet hook end I filed in is still working like a champ. Who knew?























My cowl grows ever longer. It has reached the drag on the ground if I am not paying attention stage. I am taking a photo class on craftsy so I tried to apply some of what I have learned so far. Here is where I am so far, or 40 inches long, 7 wide.


This picture is fairly typical, oh crap I am writing a blog post, quick snap one on the table.


This one had more foresight. I took it during daylight. I arranged all of the elements artfully. Everything is in focus. The cowl is skewed to fill the frame


I have taken shots like these before. I was trying to get a sense of depth.

I really like this one. I made it so the yarn was in focus, and the cowl enters focus. It just seems very inviting, like please knit me!

This one is a macro shot on the fabric itself. You can see how textured and nubby and thick and thin this yarn is. I think it gives a sense of how it feels to knit this, since it is basically at the same scale as when you are holding it in your hands.

I have been learning a decent amount, and hopefully I will learn more before the class is over.

In the spinning department, I am still working on my fiber optic gradient. Evenstar has been getting more of my home attention. Not last weekend, but the weekend before I did another quarter. That was a lovely weekend. The only thing on the agenda was knitting a spinning. And I did!


I am almost to the light blue, just a smidge more dark blue to go. I think I am going to 3-ply this, and not even maintain the gradient. There will be plenty of time to learn how to consistently spin thin, and well, this braid represents a decent chunk of learning, and is somewhat chunky in places because of that.

Department of Stashquisitions:

I bought a skein of Wollmeise lace on destash in the Chim Chim Chimney colorway. 


I think it wants to be a cardigan, with closures. I love the crap out of my featherweight, and I feel like this skein is destined to a better version of it. As in a completely different pattern, haha!

I highly encourage you to check out the other WIP Wednesday bloggers. I love linking up with you guys.

That's all for now, take care guys

Molly : )

12 comments:

  1. Wow, that shawl is amazing! and you've memorized the pattern!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I memorized the border pattern, chart 4 not the whole thing :D

      Molly : )

      Delete
  2. Absolutely gorgeous Evenstar. Can't wait to see the completion. Love the photo shoot. I need to tinker with my camera shots. I am too last minute, just snap a pic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, last minute is such a hard habit to break. The good news is that winter's lack of sun is over!

      Molly : )

      Delete
  3. WOW. Simply. WOW. Your shawl is, indeed, massive. It's also gorgeous. I'm so excited for you that you're nearing the finish line.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! The end is so close now!

      Molly : )

      Delete
  4. Congrats on the shawl - it's always a marathon to finish! How do you like the photo class on Craftsy? I was looking at it as well - maybe I should take the plunge, but I really want my money's worth! :) You did beautifully on the shots. I guess not every one can be a winner, but if you take the time, it's bound to be worth something! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The photo class was my free choice. I will let you know what I think of it when I am done taking it.

      I am really interested about when we get to playing with the settings on my camera, because I really know very little about that part.

      Molly : )

      Delete
  5. You have so much going on, aned it`s all gorgeous. Congrats on nearly finishing evenstar it`s such a huge project. I really love your cowl, and your spinnning as well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Haha, there is probably a couple more weeks before I finish evenstar. One day . .

    Molly : )

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh wow, the color of that lace is just taking my breath away -- it's gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michelle. The colorway is Bromberre, which is a cold dead hands colorway for many people. Is is German for blackberry.

      Molly : )

      Delete